Digital Platform Kisan Sarathi
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Policies and Interventions and GS -III – IT
In news In order to facilitate farmers to get ‘right information at right time’ in their desired language, a digital platform ‘Kisan Sarathi’ was recently launched.
- Launched by: Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
What are the features of the platform?
- It shall empower farmers with technological interventions to reach farmers in remote areas.
- The farmers can interact and avail personalised advisories on agriculture and allied areas directly from the respective scientists of Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs).
- It will be highly valuable not only in addressing the location specific information needs of the farmers but also in Agricultural Extension, Education and Research activities of ICAR.
About The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) recently celebrated its 93rd Foundation Day.
- It is an autonomous organisation under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India.
- The Council is the apex body for coordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country.
- With 101 ICAR institutes and 71 agricultural universities spread across the country this is one of the largest national agricultural systems in the world.
Some initiatives in Agriculture sector
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY)||2017||Central sector||To supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease Agri-Waste.|
|Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana||2016||Central sector||To provide insurance coverage and financial support to the farmers in the event of failure of any of the notified crop as a result of natural calamities, pests & diseases.|
|Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana||2015-16||Central sector||To ensure access to some means of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in the country, to produce ‘per drop more crop’, thus bringing much desired rural prosperity.|
|National Agriculture Market (e-NAM)||2016||Central sector||Pan-India electronic trading portal which networks the existing Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (APMC) mandis to create a unified national market for agricultural commodities.|
|Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana||2015||Central sector||Encourages the farmers to adopt eco-friendly concept of cultivation and reduce their dependence on fertilizers and agricultural chemicals to improve yields.|
|National Livestock Mission||2014-15||Central sector||To ensure quantitative and qualitative improvement in livestock production systems and capacity building of all stakeholders|
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan Dhan Yojana (PM-KMY)||2019||Central sector||To provide the social security net for the Small and Marginal Farmers (who own cultivable land up to 2 hectares).|
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)||2019||Central sector||Provides for transfer of an amount of Rs. 6000/- per year in three equal instalments each of Rs. 2000/- directly into the bank account of beneficiary farmer families.|
News Source: PIB