Improving Employability of the Youth
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Policies and interventions and GS-III – Economy
- Recently, the Ministry of Labour and Employment and UNICEF have signed a Statement of Intent to improve employment outcomes for the youth in India.
- It intends to provide a platform for cooperation between the Ministry and UNICEF to leverage the existing mainstreamed initiatives
Areas of Collaboration
- Connecting young people with employment opportunities.
- Upskilling in skill areas like life skills, financial skills, digital skills, vocations skills etc.
- Strengthening National Career Service (NCS).
- Support in Job forecasting by exploring the gaps.
- Supporting direct dialogue between youth and policy stakeholders.
Important value additions
National Career Service (NCS)
- It was launched in 2015, within the umbrella of the e-governance plan.
- It is a one-stop solution that provides a wide array of employment and career related services to the citizens of India.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Labour & Employment.
- Three Pillars:
- A well designed ICT based portal NCS portal,
- Country wide set up of Model Career Centers
- Interlinkage with all the states through employment exchanges.
Some Other Initiatives Taken by India