GS Paper 3
Syllabus: Conservation, Environmental pollution and degradation.
- With a ban on 19 single use plastic (SUP) items to kick in from July 1, Delhi Environment Minister said the government will hold an exhibition in June to promote alternatives to SUP.
Single-use plastics or disposable plastics:
- They are used only once before they are thrown away or recycled.
- Petroleum-based plastic is non biodegradable and usually goes into a landfill where it is buried or it gets into the water and finds its way into the ocean.
- In the process of breaking down, it releases toxic chemicals (additives that were used to shape and harden the plastic) which make their way into our food and water supply.
Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2022:
- Classification of Plastics:
Category 1: Rigid plastic packaging will be included under this category.
Category 2: Flexible plastic packaging of single layer or multilayer (more than one layer with different types of plastic), plastic sheets and covers made of plastic sheet, carry bags, plastic sachet or pouches will be included under this category.
Category 3: Multi-layered plastic packaging (at least one layer of plastic and at least one layer of material other than plastic) will be included under this category.
Category 4: Plastic sheet or like used for packaging as well as carry bags made of compostable plastics fall under this category.
- Plastic Packaging:
Reuse of rigid plastic packaging material has been mandated in the guidelines to reduce the use of fresh plastic material for packaging.
- Extended Producer Responsibility Certificates:
It allows for sale and purchase of surplus extended producer responsibility certificates.
- Centralised Online Portal:
The government has also called for establishing a centralized online portal by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) for the registration as well as filing of annual returns by producers, importers and brand-owners, plastic waste processors of plastic packaging waste by 31st March, 2022.
- Environmental Compensation:
It will be levied based upon polluter pays principle, with respect to non-fulfilment of EPR targets by producers, importers and brand owners, for the purpose of protecting and improving the quality of the environment and preventing, controlling and abating environment pollution.
- Committee to Recommend Measures:
A committee constituted by the CPCB under the chairmanship of CPCB chairman will recommend measures to the environment ministry for effective implementation of EPR, including amendments to Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) guidelines.
- Annual Report on EPR Portal:
State Pollution Control Board (SPCBs) or Pollution Control Committees (PCCs) have been tasked to submit an annual report on EPR portal with respect to its fulfillment by producers, importers and brand-owners and plastic waste processors in the state/Union Territory to the CPCB.
Single use plastics
Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2022
Critically analyze Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2022.
Q6. Which of the following is/are correct with reference to Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2022?
- It allows for sale and purchase of surplus for extended producer responsibility certificates.
- Flexible plastics are placed under category 1 plastics.
- Reuse of rigid plastic packaging material is voluntary.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- 1 only
- 2 only 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3